Trim Castle

Trim Castle

Contact Details

Address:

Castle Street
Trim
Co Meath
C15 HN90

Tel. +353 (46) 943 8619
Tel. +353 (46) 943 8964

Fax. +353 (46) 943 8618

Email: trimcastle@opw.ie

 

Opening Hours

2020

1st November 2019 - 2nd February 2020 Open Weekends Only - 9.00 to 16.00.

 

8th February - November 4th 2020.

Feb 8th - March 16th

09.30 - 16.30

March 17th - Sept 30th

10.00 - 17.00

Oct 1st - Oct 31st

09.30 - 16.30

Nov 1st - Nov 4th

09.00 - 16.00

Please note that all groups must be pre-booked.

Average Length of Visit:  1 - 2 hours 

Admission Fees

Including the Keep
Adult: €5.00
Group/Senior: €4.00
Child/Student: €3.00
Family: €13.00

Castle Excluding the Keep
Adult: €2.00
Group & Senior: €1.00
Child/ Student: €1.00
Family: €4.00

Facilities

Display panels with reconstruction drawings, toilets, guided tours. Public car park near the site.

Please note that this car park is paid parking with a 2 hour limit

Restaurant/Tearooms: None

Credit/Debit card payment Facilities.

Please note that dogs are not permitted on the castle grounds.

COVID-19

Following Government guidelines this site is closed until further notice.

Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, was constructed over a thirty-year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh de Lacy was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172 in an attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare, (Strongbow).  Construction of the massive three storied Keep, the central stronghold of the castle, was begun c. 1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress. This massive twenty-sided tower, which is cruciform in shape, was protected by a ditch, curtain wall and moat. 

Location:
Trim Town Centre (Trim is a Heritage Town).

Bus Route(s):
Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre +353 (1) 836 6111

Guided Tours:
Guided Tours of the grounds only, are available weekdays November to February by members of the Trim Living History community group.
For further information please contact +353 (46) 943 7227

Maximum number: 20

Duration: 45 minutes

Last tour 1 hour before closing.

Access to the Keep is by guided tour only for safety reasons.

Leaflet/Guide book:
English, French, German

Seasonal Events:
Please check in advance using contact details listed above.

Photography / Video allowed:
Yes. Permit required for Commercial Photography.

Additional Information:
Please note that this is a very busy site and visitors may experience a delay during the summer months.  Access cannot be guaranteed.  Please arrive early to avoid disappointment.


Access for visitors with disabilities is very restricted.  Please note that some of the stairs in the keep are very steep and narrow.  The keep is not accessible for visitors with disabilities and there is restricted access to the grounds only.  There are interpretation panels in the grounds of the castle which allow for self-guiding.