Grave Mapping at Ennis Friary
Ennis Friary as a burial ground
Ennis Friary was built by the O’Brien Kings of Thomond for the Franciscan Order in the 13th century. Other than showing off their wealth, strength and benevolence one of the main reasons the O'Brien's founded the friary was so they would have a burial place befitting their stature. Though there were probably a number of burials prior to it, the first recorded burial in the friary is of King Turlough O’Brien in 1306. Other patronal families and successive O’Brien kings followed Turlough’s lead and were interred here also, thus began centuries of burials at Ennis Friary.