Family (4): €20
Please note: it is advisable that groups book in advance.
Tickets are available online at carlingfordheritagecentre.com. They can also be purchased near to site at the Visit Carlingford Tourist Office, Station House, A91 CV06
Carlingford lies in the shade of Slieve Foye, a mountain that in legend takes its form from the body of the sleeping giant Finn MacCumhaill. The castle dominates the town and overlooks the lough harbour. It was a vital point of defence for the area for centuries.
Carlingford Castle was built around 1190, most likely by the Norman baron Hugh de Lacy. By this time Hugh’s family had grown powerful enough to make King John of England uneasy. John forced them into rebellion and seized their property in 1210. He reputedly stayed in his new castle himself. It is still known as King John’s Castle.
The Jacobites fired on the castle in 1689; William of Orange is said to have accommodated his wounded soldiers there following the Battle of the Boyne.
Carlingford Lough Heritage Trust provides excellent guided tours of this historic Castle from March to October.
Tours of Carlingford Castle will commence from Sat 1st May.
+353 (42) 9373454
- Car park
- Guided tours
- Access by Guided Tour Only
Nearby sites to visit
Old Mellifont Abbey
Visit Ireland’s very first Cistercian foundation
Approx. 38.1 km from Carlingford Castle
Battle of the Boyne
Where two kings fought for Europe’s future
Approx. 38.7 km from Carlingford Castle
Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre (Newgrange and Knowth)
Step into Ireland’s richest archaeological landscape
Approx. 42.5 km from Carlingford Castle