This castle dates from the early days of the Anglo-Norman settlement in Ireland. It was built c.1209 to safeguard the entrance to Dungarvan Harbour. The polygonal shell keep – a rare building type in Ireland – is the earliest structure on the site.
The castle has an enclosing curtain wall, a corner tower and a gate tower. Within the wall is a two-storey military barracks, which dates from the first half of the eighteenth century. It was used by the British Army and the Royal Irish Constabulary until 1922. During the Irish Civil War Dungarvan Castle was destroyed by the Anti-Treaty IRA. It was subsequently refurbished and served as the Headquarters of the local Garda Síochana.
Today the Barracks and Castle grounds are open to visitors. Inside you will find a revealing exhibition on the Castle’s long and intriguing history.
28 May – 30 September
Daily 10:00 – 18:00
Last admission 45 minutes before closing.
Average Length of Visit: 45 minutes.
- Audio Visual Show
- Baby Changing
- Guided tours
- Interpretive exhibit
- Wedding Venue
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Wheelchair Accessible Toilet
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Hold hand rail
- No cycling within the grounds