Skip to content Help us improve our website

Heritage Ireland

Kells Priory

Visit Ireland’s largest enclosed ecclesiastical site

See all opening times

Kells Priory

Visit Ireland’s largest enclosed ecclesiastical site

See all opening times

Limited Access

Access to the Priory is currently via the car park on L1023

Admission

Free admission

Getting here

Kells Priory
Kells
Co. Kilkenny
R95 V184

Get Directions

Kells Priory

Kells Priory owes its foundation to the Anglo-Norman consolidation of Leinster. Founded by Geoffrey FitzRobert, a household knight and trusted companion of William Marshal the priory was one element of Geoffrey’s establishment of the medieval town of Kells.

Although founded in c. 1193 extensive remains exist today which include a nave, chancel, lady chapel, cloister and associated builds plus the remains of the priory’s infirmary, workshop, kitchen, bread oven and mill. The existence of the medieval defences, surrounding the entire precinct, underline the military aspect of the site and inspired the priory’s local name, the ‘Seven Castles of Kells’.

Opening Times

Guided tours available.

From 09 June – 05 September 2022

Wednesday – Sunday

09:30 – 17:00

Last guided tour 16:00

Contact

Kells Priory
Kells
Co. Kilkenny
R95 V184

056 772 4623 / 087 067 5783

Open location in Google Maps

Click the relevant icon below to open Maps directions

Facilities

  • Audio Tour
  • Guided tours
  • River Walk

Restrictions

  • Dogs on lead
  • Uneven walkways

Resources

Social Guide

Download, print and read our social guide (PDF) about visiting Kells Priory. This will help first-time visitors, families and people with developmental and learning disabilities to prepare for a visit to Kells Priory.

Download the Social Guide

Nearby sites to visit

You might also like

Heritage Card

Unlimited access to Ireland’s past

Buy one today

Join our mailing list

Keep up to date on our news, events, activities and publications.

Subscribe